WordPress is commonly known as a blogging tool, but it is being used more and more as a Content Management System. Because it is primarily a blogging tool the install is fairly basic, but there are many plug-ins that can be added that can make WordPress customised to suit your needs.
Below is a list of essential and useful plug-ins that I have come across. At the moment the list is only small, but it will grow as I continue to work more and more with WordPress.
- All in One SEO Pack: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/
- Google Analytics: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/google-analytics-for-wordpress/
- Akismet: This one is already installed when you get the package, but you need to activate it.
- sifr: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-sifr/
- Lightbox: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/lightbox-2-wordpress-plugin/installation/
- Redirection: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/redirection/
- Manage Page Links: http://gmurphey.com/2006/10/05/wordpress-plugin-page-link-manager/